Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A is for ACCURACY

Yesterday I told you about the "D" in DASH standing for "desire". As in "I want to TRAIN!"

Today, we'll be covering ACCURACY.

When you're learning a new behavior, the first step is to get it right. And that means taking your time to be precise. Take the weave poles for instance (and I really mean "take them". Because I hate them. Because I'm pretty bad about being accurate with them. Because when I screw up it makes mom mad). When I first learned the weave poles, mom put guides up so that I went through them correctly. We went very slowly and precisely so that I got it right every time. As I started to understand, I got faster and faster.

It's kind of like driving a car. Well, like I think is like driving a car. Mom won't let me drive, no matter how much I beg. But when you first start driving, you go very slowly and carefully, so you don't run anybody over. But as the days, months and years go by, you just zip along, full of confidence. Mom's got the tickets to prove that you go faster as time goes on.

Or like typing. Back in the dark ages, when typewriters weren't even electric, and computers ran on punch cards, mom learned to type. Slowly she hunted and pecked, trying to be accurate. Now she's zoomy on the keyboard, fingers flying with very few mistakes.

So remember to get ACCURATE before you get fast.

Tomorrow: SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!



This picture has NOTHING to do with accuracy, but I needed a picture to spice the blog up. I found this in the archives. Some of these dogs have gone to the Bridge, a few are retired, but they were all agility stars in their time. That's Levi, when he was just a baby. He's 12 now, so that tells you how long ago this was. Even then, mom tended to hang with folks that didn't go for traditional agility breeds.

t

2 comments:

  1. Surprising that mom and dad won't let me drive either! I've given up on that as long as I can sit on the driver's lap, I'm ok.
    That is a great picture, such a cute bunch of diverse dogs...I bet they all had such a good time together!
    Hey, my mom helped me finish my very own blog last night. We'd be honored if you'd stop by and check it out. Pugnacious P...tales of Payton the Pug - pugnaciousp 'dot' blogspot 'dot' com.
    Love,
    Payton

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old photo...In the back is Rutherford and Cory, then baby Madison, Levi, Higgins, Marti, Dash's head, Dart...some other Norwich head (Quinn?). Those were the good old days. Now we have the good, but we're older days! Rainee

    ReplyDelete